What is EBEC?
European BEST Engineering Competition (EBEC) is the largest Engineering Competition in Europe, conducted by students for students.Teams that are composed by 4 students from technology fields, regardless of status of their degree, are challenged to solve the tasks that are provided by BEST in 3 different competition levels. The team which proves to be the most efficient, creative and successful at the end of the competition finale is granted by “BEST Engineers of Europe” title.
EBEC project begins every year with several Local EBEC Rounds as well as National/Regional EBEC Rounds and reaches an end with EBEC Final that is organised in the beginning of August.
The competition is divided into two categories, Case Study and Team Design. Each team must choose a category, when applying to the competition. More specifically:
- Team Design: this category consists in solving a given technical problem in teams within a limited time. The outcome of the competition consists in constructing a device that can perform a set of required actions, with given constraints and only by using the tools and components that are provided. The objective of the competition is to challenge your problem-solving skills and your creativity in building an efficient solution. In the end, all teams will present their results and apply them to perform the required tasks.
- Case Study: this category consists in analyzing and solving a real-life problem encountered by a company. No actual construction of any device is needed: the objective of the competition is to challenge your problem-solving skills and your creativity in developing hypothetical solutions, based on the information given. In the end, all teams will give a presentation about their result.
The teams compete in 3 rounds: Local (Athens), National (this year also in Athens!) and Final (Brno).
- The Local Round is the first round of the competition and is organised by the Local Best Group of each university. It is open to all students of NTUA, competing in teams of four in the categories of Case Study and Team Design. The winning team of each category will move on to the next round (national).
- The National Round gathers the winning teams of all the Local Rounds in Greece and they compete in more advanced topics. The end of this round showcases the two winning teams (one for each category) that will represent Greece and their university in the Final Round.
- The Final Round of EBEC gathers the winners of the National and Regional rounds, in a total of 120 competitors. This year, it will take place in Brno, Czech Republic!
This year, on December 10-12, the Local Round of EBEC Athens is organised for the seventh time by the Local Best Group of Athens. More than 60 students of the National Technical University of Athens will have the opportunity to test their skills and expand their technical and communication abilities, while claiming a spot in the Final Round. Are you still thinking about it?